Chocolaty brownies with a moist interior and pleasant thin crackle on top are studded with just enough walnuts.
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for pan
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Brush a 9-inch baking pan with melted butter and dust with just enough flour to coat.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a simmer over medium heat. Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and set over the water, stirring occasionally until melted. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. Combine the flour, walnuts, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Stir the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until well combined. Stir in the flour mixture until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and spread to an even thickness.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 36-38 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack at least 30 minutes. Carefully remove brownies from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut in to 16 squares.