We love this rub so much, we can’t see any reason to make a single batch. This recipe makes enough rub for 2-4 more meals: use it on salmon, swordfish, chicken or burgers.
- 1/4 cup finely ground Arabica coffee, or other coffee
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound flank steak
- Combine the rub ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Transfer all but 3 tablespoons to a covered container for future use.
- Brush the oil over the steak; sprinkle both sides with the 3 tablespoons spice rub.
- Preheat nonstick grill pan over medium heat until hot. Add the flank steak and cook, turning once, 8-10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.