Coconut milk, fresh cilantro and basil add a bright fragrance to this Asian influenced chicken salad.
- 4 (5-6 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coconut Milk Sauce:
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 5-6 ounces mixed lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely sliced
- 1-2 jalapeño or Serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted cashews
- Combine chicken breasts, soy sauce and garlic in a shallow dish or zip-top bag. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; cook until no longer pink in center (165°F internal temperature), about 10 minutes. Cool slightly; slice.
- Stir together coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Heat just until warm.
- Mix together lettuce, bell pepper, shallot, lemon grass and chili; divide onto serving plates. Top with sliced chicken and drizzle with sauce. Garnish servings with cilantro, mint and cashews. Serve with remaining sauce.