A quick, sweet pre-Hispanic recipe served in the fall. Customarily served during holiday celebrations or placed on the altars during Dia de Los Muertos as a sweet offering. Serve with milk, cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 2-pound sugar pie pumpkin
- 2 cups water
- 1 8-ounce piloncillo cone
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- Slice pumpkin in half; remove seeds and stringy flesh. Slice into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat water, piloncillo, zest, cinnamon and star anise in Farberware Buena Cocina 6.6-Qt Caldero over low-medium heat. Stir until piloncillo dissolves and turns into a thin syrup.
- Add pumpkin slices to syrup and cook for 10 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and darkens in color.
- Transfer to serving plates. Drizzle with syrup and serve.