This soup has it all: it is hearty yet healthful—and full of robust, crowd-pleasing flavor. The broth and tortilla strips may be made in advance, but slice the avocado just before serving. Bonus: Pair it with delicious Apple Crisp Sundaes for the perfect Tex-Mex inspired one-stack meal using the Neat Nest Saucepot set.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 12 slices
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in the Farberware Neat Nest 6-Qt Saucepot over medium heat. Add half of the tortilla strips and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
- Return saucepot to the heat and add the onion, garlic, oregano, coriander, chili powder and cumin, cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil, and immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pot, increase the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Garnish each bowl with avocado and radishes; top with the tortilla strips.