Perfect for breakfast, snack or even dessert, muffins are a favorite treat at any age. Serve these muffins straight from the oven with blueberries, blackberries or raspberries to best experience the earthy nuances of the cornmeal.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, corn oil, melted butter, orange zest, and orange juice. Gently mix in the chopped raspberries.
- Pour this into the flour mix and mix just enough to combine the ingredients and make a lumpy batter. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups lined with paper cups or well greased with butter. Fill just to the rim of the cups.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin, about 18-20 minutes. Remove and let cool 5-10 minutes in the pan. Remove and serve hot or warm.