Portable breakfast sandwiches loaded with chorizo, red peppers, and fried eggs will turn an on-the-go morning into a special occasion. To save time in the morning, the bell pepper and chorizo filling can be made ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 vidalia onion, thinkly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3.5 ounces dry chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 12 ounce baguette, split lengthwise and cut into four portions
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the chorizo and cook 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through. Transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Crack in the eggs. Cook 5 minutes, or until the whites are set. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the bottom baguette sections. Top with the pepper and chorizo mixture and a fried egg. Cover with the baguette tops. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a grill pan set over medium heat. Add the sandwiches. With a spatula, firmly press down on the top of each sandwich to flatten it. Cook 1 minute; flip and cook an additional 30 seconds.