Dazzle your holiday guests with this easy-to-make and delicious poached pear recipe served over vanilla ice cream. Your taste buds will be delighted by the tart and sweet flavor of the balsamic vinegar sauce.
- 3 firm pears
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small cinnamon sticks, (or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon)
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and scraped (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Place all the ingredients except the pears into a skillet and heat on low while peeling and coring the pears.
- Carefully place the peeled and cored pear halves into the skillet core side down. Place lid on pan.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes and flip the pears over.
- Simmer 5 additional minutes. Remove pears from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium; simmering to reduce the liquid in half. Remove from burner and cool.
- Serve each pear half over vanilla ice cream and drizzle with the reduced balsamic sauce.