If you don’t need to prebake your crust simply add your filling after freezing for 20 minutes then bake as desired.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or 2 forks until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the vinegar and water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a loose dough forms. Knead the dough in the bowl 1-2 times so that it comes together then press it into a 4-inch diameter disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch diameter circle. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, then crimp the edges to form a rim. Prick the bottom of the crust a few times with the tines of a fork. Freeze 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line the pie crust with a 12-inch sheet of aluminum foil. Fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans. Place in the center of the oven and bake 15 minutes; remove the foil and beans. Return the crust to the oven and bake until lightly golden but still slightly undercooked, 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.