A delectable blend of spring’s bounty, this sparkling fruit dessert has the invigorating flavors of orange zest and nutmeg, creating a simple but elegant dessert that’s suitable for company and family dinners alike.
- For the Crisp Topping:
- 3/4 cups pecans, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teapsoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- For the Strawberry Rhubarb Filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the nuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until they are small,1/4-inch pieces. Remove the nuts and reserve.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and nutmeg.
- Add these dry ingredients and butter to the food processor and pulse until it just begins to hold together. Add the nuts and pulse 3 to 4 more times until mixed.
- In a bowl, toss together the rhubarb, strawberries, flour and sugar until well mixed.
- Place the fruit in a 2 to 2 1/2 qt. gratin dish and sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until a skewer inserted into the center goes in without any resistance, the top is golden and it is bubbling around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.