Easy to prepare, these vanilla bean poached pears are elegant and won’t leave you feeling weighed down. A treat you can feel good about eating.
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 vanilla beans, sliced down the middle (lengthwise)
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, mix water and sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, cut vanilla beans in half lengthwise down the middle.
- When sugar is dissolved in water, add pear slices and vanilla beans. Out of parchment paper, cut a round that fits inside the pan to cover the pears. In the center of the round, cut out a small hole (quarter-sized) to let steam escape. Place this parchment round over the pears to keep them all submerged during the poaching process.
- Cook at a rapid simmer for 20 minutes or until pears are cooked. They’ll look slightly translucent. Cool completely in the poaching liquid.