Just a touch of sugar and a pinch of spicy heat bring out the very best in these simple fresh vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the spinach, turning with kitchen tongs, in batches until it all fits and is wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let drain, pressing out excess liquid.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium and add the onion, basil, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until softened and just starting to brown at the edges, 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook until tomatoes just start to soften, 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, tossing, until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.