Travel to New Orleans with your very first bite of this fried fish sandwich with pickles and mayonnaise. It’s the next best thing to being there.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Canola oil , for frying
- 4 hoagie rolls, split horizontally
- 16 tomato slices
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 20 bread and butter pickle chips
- Combine the mayonnaise, relish, onion, capers, and mustard in a bowl; mix well and reserve.
- Sprinkle the catfish fillets with the salt and pepper. Spread the flour on a large plate, lightly beat the egg in a bowl, and spread the cornmeal on a separate plate. Working one fillet at a time, dip the catfish first into the flour to lightly coat, shaking off excess; then into the egg; and finally into the cornmeal. Place the fish on a clean plate and repeat with the remaining fillets.
- Heat 1/4-inch oil in a 14-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the catfish fillets and cook until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, arrange the bottom half of each roll on a plate. Top each with 4 slices tomato, 1/2 cup lettuce, 1 fillet, and 5 pickle chips. Spread cut side of top halves of rolls with tartar sauce and close sandwiches. Serve immediately.