Making cornbread from scratch is super easy, plus you’ll avoid the refined ingredients found in boxed mixes. My vegan version is southern-friend certified, cholesterol-free and tastes like corn! Do use fresh cornmeal for the best flavor.
- 1 cup fresh yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup white all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic soymilk or rice milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, dark amber or grade B
- 2 tbsp organic canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425°F. Oil a Farberware 9-Inch Round Baking Pan .
- Place a wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl. Add the cornmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, white flour, baking powder and salt to the strainer and sift into the bowl. Mix with a wire whisk.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, maple syrup, oil and vanilla until well blended. Pour into the dry mixture and whisk only until the batter is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes until the sides have started to pull away from the pan and the top looks set. Do not over-bake or the cornbread will be dry. A tester inserted into the center will be clean or holding just a few moist crumbs. Cool the pan on a wire rack for 8-10 minutes before cutting.