While this soup was originally created to make use of all leftover mashed potatoes, it is so beloved you may find yourself making mashed potatoes just to have the soup!
- 5 slices uncured nitrate free bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Heat a 5-quart saucepan over medium and cook bacon until crisp, remove slotted spoon and transfer to a plate covered with paper towel; drain.
- Return the saucepan to the stove. Add the butter and stir until melted. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and cheese and cook until hot and smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top each with bacon and chives.