This easy side dish requires very little prep work, just scrubbing the carrots, mincing some rosemary and slicing some shallots. You can definitely make these with regular orange carrots but if you can find rainbow carrots (often available at upscale grocery stores or natural food stores) definitely try them out, as they add a splash of fun color to the table.
- 2 pounds rainbow carrots
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 medium shallots, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Scrub and dry the carrots, then place them in an Anolon Vesta Stoneware 9 x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the garlic, shallots, rosemary, pepper and salt over the carrots. Zest the orange and sprinkle it over the carrots. Drizzle the olive oil over the carrots and toss the carrots so they are coated with the oil and herbs.
- Juice the orange, and combine it with the chicken stock. Add the soy sauce and the honey to the stock and stir until the honey dissolves. Pour the liquid over the carrots.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the carrots. Place the baking dish back in the oven and roast for an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the liquid in the bottom of the dish has reduced to a glaze.