A delicious combination of smoked gouda, cheddar and cream cheese makes a creamy cheese sauce for the cavatappi pasta and spicy andouille sausage for a family pleasing one-pot dinner.
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granualted garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Add 3 quarts of water in a 5 quart Dutch oven or large pan and bring to a boil. Add cavatappi pasta and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add andouille sausage and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often about 3 to 5 minutes or until sausage starts to brown. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Drain excess grease to another bowl and discard. Wipe any remaining grease from Dutch oven with a paper towel but leave any of the brown bits from the sausage.
- Add butter and flour to Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Add salt, garlic and ground mustard and whisk to combine. As flour mixture starts to bubble, whisk in milk. Cook 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and whisk continuously until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Add shredded cheeses and whisk until combined. Continue to cook about 2 minutes or until all combined and cheese sauce is smooth. Add pasta and sausage and stir to coat completely. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.