Brazilian flavors meld beautifully in colorful crab cakes. The salsa adds zing and texture.
- 1 large sweet potato , (about 14 ounces)
- 1 container (8 ounces) refrigerated pasteurized special crab meat*
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup plain or panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped mango
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 375°F. Prick sweet potato with fork; wrap in foil. Bake 1 hour or just until tender. Cool. Remove skin from sweet potato and place flesh in large bowl. Mash with fork. Stir in crab, bell pepper, onion, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well. Divide into 8 portions (a scant 1/2 cup each) and shape into 3-inch patty. Coat in bread crumbs. Place on tray; cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, stir together mango, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and red pepper; set aside.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the patties 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove from pan; keep warm while cooking remaining patties. To serve, place 2 patties on dinner plate; top with one-fourth of the mango mixture.