Classic grilled cheese meets the classic Italian antipasto for a new delizioso take on a beloved family-favorite recipe.
- For the sandwich
- 1 large rustic round loaf of bread, cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil
- For tomato salad topping:
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- For the tomato salad topping, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Allow to marinate a few minutes while sandwich is cooking.
- For the sandwich, heat a nonstick griddle or pan over medium heat. Evenly coat pan with olive oil.
- Drizzle olive oil on one side of all 4 slices of bread. Layer mozzarella rounds in an even layer on two of the slices. Top with the other two slices of bread oil side down.
- Place on griddle and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Carefully flip sandwich and cook on other side until golden brown and cheese is melted through.
- Remove from heat and cut into bruschetta slices. Top each piece with tomato salad and serve with extra tomato on the side.