Italians take note—classic Southwest and Mexican ingredients pair beautifully with Arborio rice in this creamy risotto.
- 1/2 pound smoked chorizo sausage link
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Mexican beer or dry white wine
- 5 to 6 cups reduced-salt chicken broth, heated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small avocado, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated cotija cheese
- lime wedges
- Slice sausage links into lengthwise quarters; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. In 4-quart stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook and stir sausage, bell pepper and corn 5 minutes or until sausage begins to brown; remove sausage mixture from pan.
- Return drippings to pan (add additional oil to measure 2 tablespoons, if needed). Stir rice into drippings over medium heat about 2 minute. Add beer, stirring until almost all of liquid is evaporated. Begin adding hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is almost absorbed before adding more broth. Continue stirring in broth 25 to 30 minutes until rice is tender and mixture is creamy. Stir in green onion and reserved sausage; heat through.
- Divide risotto among 4 serving bowls. Top with avocado and cheese. Serve with lime wedges.