Hearty, nutty and healthy faro thrives when paired with these classic Italian ingredients. Make a double batch—this dish is wonderful on day 2 and 3!
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 ounces sharp provolone, cut into small dice
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions; drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the prosciutto and pine nuts and cook until nuts begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the farro and cook until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, tomato, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper.