Mexican meets Italian in this comforting pasta dish. Filled with loads of fresh flavors and topped crushed tortilla chips, this will definitely become a go-to dinner!
- 12 ounces pasta, such as rotelle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 and 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion , diced, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies, such as Rotel
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled up
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- cilantro for garnish
- Bring a Farberware® PURECOOK Ceramic Nonstick 5 Qt. Dutch Oven of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup cooking water, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a Farberware® PURECOOK Ceramic Nonstick 5-Quart Jumbo Cooker over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Add onion (reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish), garlic, bell pepper, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano, and cook until onion and pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and continue to cook another 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and green chilies, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing everything to simmer together.
- Add cream cheese, cooked pasta and about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water and stir together. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the pasta is coated. Taste to adjust seasonings and add remaining 1/4 cup of pasta water if necessary.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover with lid and let stand for about 5-7 minutes, allowing the residual heat to melt the cheese.
- Right before serving, garnish with crumbled up tortilla chips. Toss diced tomatoes with remaining onion and cilantro, and layer on top of tortilla chips.