This quick and easy Mexican-inspired stir-fry is delicious and healthy – lime quinoa topped with spicy fajita chicken and strips of red pepper and onion will quickly become your new favorite family dinner.
- For the Lime Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa, dry, uncooked
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- For the Fajita Stir Fry
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow onion, julienned
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro leaves
- To make the Lima Quinoa
- In a large saucepan, cook quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Once the quinoa is cooked, add lime zest and juice and stir well. Set aside.
- To make the Fajita Stir Fry
- Preheat the wok, stir fry, or large skillet over medium heat. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together the spices (cumin, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and paprika). Add olive oil and whisk well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken strips with the spice mixture. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes. Place the chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Add pepper and onion to the pan. Add more olive oil if needed. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the vegetables and stir together. Cook together for 3 minutes on medium low heat.
- Remove from the heat and serve over Lime Quinoa.