This comforting Mexican vegetarian casserole is not only easy to prepare, it is also full of veggies and I can assure you that it will have your family coming back for more.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husks and stems removed, rinsed well
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, tightly fitted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups kale leaves, washed and trimmed
- 2 poblano chiles, charred, stemmed. seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream, Mexican crema or vegan sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded melting cheese, or vegan melting cheese
- To make the sauce add tomatillos, garlic cloves, and onion water and salt to a Farberware® Classic Series saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. When the tomatillos are cooked, process with the cilantro in food processor until sauce is smooth, about two minutes.
- To make the filling heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes and slowly start adding the kale. Continue adding as the kale wilts. Season with salt.
- To prepare the tortillas, heat some vegetable oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Using tongs, dip the tortillas one at a time for about 15 seconds. Set aside over a plate lined with paper towels. You could also lightly toast them in a skillet with no oil until lightly browned.
- To assemble the casserole cover the bottom of a Farberware® 9 x13 baking pan with the tomatillo sauce. Layer with 6 tortillas cover the tortillas with the kale and mushroom filling, drizzle about one-third of the sauce over the filling. Top the filling and sauce with half of the cream and half of the melting cheese. Top with 6 more tortillas, cover them with sauce, the remaining cream, and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese melted, about 10 to 15 minutes. Uncover and leave 5 to 7 minutes more or until the cheese begins to brown.