Frosted sugar cookies get dressed up the holidays. Decorated with two kinds of buttercream, festive sprinkles and candy canes, these buttery vanilla cookies are sure to become a family tradition.
- For the Sugar Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Assorted sprinkles and candy canes, crushed
- Piping bag and star tip
- For the Cookies: Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add egg followed by vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop 1-ounce portions of dough, roll into balls and place on cookie sheets. Flatten cookies using the bottom of a glass lightly dipped in flour. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until set on top.
- For the Buttercream: In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add salt and continue to mix.
- Add vanilla and milk, and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, until smooth and fluffy. Transfer half of the buttercream to a separate bowl and mix in peppermint extract.
- Frost half the cookies with vanilla buttercream and top with festive sprinkles. Frost the remaining cookies with peppermint buttercream and top with crushed candy canes.