Everyone’s favorite messy sandwich just got even better! This crowd-pleasing version is smoky and just a little sweet, and because it is made with leaner ground turkey, it is healthier, too. Oh—and did we mention you can get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes?! (P.S. Make it a complete one-stack meal with Cranberry and Sage Couscous and Ancho-Cinnamon Squash using just a stack of Farberware Neat Nest saucepans.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1-inch thick) slices crusty sourdough bread, toasted
- Heat the oil in a Farberware Neat Nest 4-Qt Nonstick Saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, green and red bell peppers, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and smoked paprika and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and salt; cook until slightly thickened and the turkey is cooked through, 4-5 minutes.
- Place a toasted bread slice on each of 4 plates and spoon the turkey mixture over the top to serve.