The vegetables may be pickled ahead and kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Be sure to set a few aside to add to sandwiches during the week.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets, about 1/4 medium head
- 4 mini cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 romaine hearts, sliced, about 10 cups
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine the cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt and garlic cloves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 2 minutes. Combine the cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots and shallot in a large bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over, let cool 10 minutes then cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Drain the vegetables and discard garlic cloves.
- Combine the pickled vegetables and romaine in a bowl. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a separate bowl; pour over romaine mixture and toss well. Serve immediately.