Skip the store-bought – this creamy enchilada sauce makes a surprising and delicious pasta sauce perfect for a fun do-it-yourself pasta bar.
- For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- For the DIY pasta bar
- Cooked pasta (or zucchini noodles) of your choice
- Cooked and shredded chicken
- Sauteed red peppers
- Sauteed red onions
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh green onion, diced
- Chopped avocado
- For the sauce, in a 3.5 Qt. Straining Saucepan (you could cook your pasta in this pan as well!), melt butter over medium heat. When melted, whisk in the flour, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. While whisking, slowly stir in the milk. Continue whisking until milk begins to thicken and bubble. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted. If using for a DIY pasta bar, keep warm over low heat, whisking occasionally.
- In a large skillet, add 1/2 cup creamy enchilada sauce with one cup of pasta, chicken, peppers and onions. Toss together in pan until all ingredients are combined and heated through. Top with desired garnishes.